It never fails within Michigan we always obtain day in the spring when we get a torrential down pour. Excellent idea as if that should be considered the day the power goes out and the sump pump fails. Water restoration is a large part of restoration services given by companies. Many homeowners think that they can clean upward themselves without thinking about how the dampness will change up the area. What many people don’t understand is that water can stick around and build mildew and mold. Despite it feels dry to touch areas can still be damp. When not thoroughly dried through water restoration techniques damage can occur.
If your home or business is affected by water damage the best first step is to call your insurance company and have a water restoration company come out and assess the ruin. Here are some tips to help you as the homeowner to help globe restoration of your home.
DO’S and DON’TS
1) The first step is to dehumidify the area. As long as the area is no longer submerged in water features been cleared to be secure by an electrician begin running dehumidifiers.
2) Open up household and have fans circulating the dry air.
3) It is important to soak up as much water as you also can. Use a mop or old towels to sop up as much water as you can. Blotting carpet is also a creative way to remove large quantities of water.
4) All furniture pieces should be dried somewhere. Wood and fabric both should be thoroughly dry. Items such as cushions and knick knacks removed and safely stored until a professional has checked the furniture to positive it has thoroughly dried. Remember the touch test does not work. Often furniture will feel dry to the touch when the surface is dry. This doesn’t mean the inner parts are completely dry.
5) Wood blocks should be made that will be utilized to prop up furniture though it may be drying. If you wrap the blocks in aluminum foil this prevents staining on carpet.
6) All floor coverings that are loose in order to removed taken to a reliable to be cleaned and dried. Bacteria will locate a host in these areas and should be cleaned properly to prevent any bacteria from the flood water to grow and reproduce in your green area rugs.
7) All drapery always be lifted from the carpet. If it has become wet it is much better to take it down and allow a professional to clean them.
8) All furniture, cupboards and drawers that can be opened should always be. It is important to let those areas thoroughly dry out by removing all the contents and letting them air out.
9) Books could be dried out by laying them out open and certain the air is circulating in the that they are drying in.
10) It is essential not to make use of a normal household vacuum to remove the actual. You will ruin your unit. You’ll want to leave the water extraction to the experts. If you need to remove a small bit of standing water and it can’t be done with a mop or towel and wet/dry shop vacuum is the best tool for work.
11) Electrical units should not be plugged in any area that to become wet or provides standing water.
12) Leave carpet that is tacked down in stick. Professionals have equipment that can clean and dry your carpet thoroughly.
Damage can occur through water and bacteria settling within your household materials. Do not wait to call water restoration professionals in to your house to begin implementing getting your home restored and functioning normal. Bacteria starts forming within minutes so it is important to call your insurance company and them send someone out immediately to obtain your home dried up. Water restoration professionals can ensure bacteria, mold spores do not grow and fester.